The Appalachian State University campus is currently operating under normal conditions.
About the AppState-ALERT System
AppState-ALERT is the Appalachian State University 24/7 emergency messaging system. Using a combination of text messaging, voice messaging, the siren warning system, PC desktop alerts, email, and web technologies, AppState-ALERT is designed to provide App State students, faculty and staff members with timely information in the event of a campus emergency.
Cell phone text and voice messages will only be sent by the university when an emergency exists that is considered an "imminent threat." An "imminent threat" is defined as a significant emergency or dangerous situation involving an immediate threat to the life or safety of the campus community.
How does AppState-ALERT work?
In the event of a campus emergency, emergency notifications will be distributed to students, faculty and staff members using any or all of the following methods:
- Text Messaging: Emergency notifications will be sent as text messages to all cell numbers registered with AppState-ALERT as "Emergency Cell-Text."
- Voice Messaging: Emergency notifications will be sent as voice messages to all cell numbers registered with AppState-ALERT as "Emergency Cell-Voice."
- Siren Warning System: During high-risk conditions, the siren will be used to broadcast an audible warning message across the campus.
- Email: Emergency notifications will be sent to every appstate.edu email address.
- Web: Emergency notifications will be posted on appstatealert.com, in addition to emergency.appstate.edu, appstate.edu, and myasu.appstate.edu.
Off-Campus Instructional Site Emergency Messaging
Some App State classes and activities may be offered at off-campus instructional sites where App State rents or uses space for learning or working, such as a community college campus. The off-campus instructional site bears the responsibility for managing emergencies and events in their location, and for alerting people on their property in the event of an emergency. App State recognizes the need to assist students, faculty and staff in finding where they can register for emergency alert messaging at off-campus instructional site locations. Please reach out to the safety office at firstname.lastname@example.org or (828) 262-4008 if you need assistance finding where to register for emergency alerts at these locations.