The Appalachian State University campus is currently operating under normal conditions.
This page is specifically designed to provide you with a few of the most important things that you may do to prepare for emergencies. Please also familiarize yourself with the resources available throughout this site.
- Learn campus conditions and other emergency terminology. Unlike public K-12 institutions, it is unlikely that Appalachian State University will lockdown the entire campus.
- Learn more about App State's siren warning system. If you live near campus you probably hear the sirens tested once a month. The siren sounds for an actual emergency differ from the tone used for testing. Here is for more information on the siren system.
- Notify Appalachian Police about any suspicious behavior that you observe on campus. Reporting suspicious behavior or crime may prevent an incident from escalating to a major emergency or disaster. Visit the Appalachian Police Department's web site for more information.
- Plan ahead to determine how you will react if there is an emergency while you are on campus.
- Program local media outlets into your radio and computer so that you can quickly access emergency information. University Communications will disseminate emergency information as soon as possible and update the information regularly.
- Try to evacaute campus if you can safely do so! It is important for emergency responders to restrict campus access to stabilize the situation. Leave the campus area if you can safely do so. If you must stay on campus, seek safe shelter.
- Stand-by for specific directions or requests from the University. The University may establish a media center and/or volunteer reception centers.
- Visit www.appstatealert.com for the latest emergency messages. Appstatealert.com is the official emergency messaging site and is updated through the Office of Public Affairs and the Emergency Operations Center.
For More Information
Thank you for taking an active interest in App State's safety and security. Please browse this entire site to learn more about App State's emergency plans. You are always welcome to contact us with questions, comments, and ideas.